Monday, December 14, 2009

The Rainbow

I have always been fascinated with rainbows. It is difficult to choose just one favorite color when they all look so appealing together. Though the rainbow is now used to symbolize many things, it's true meaning can be found in the bible:

And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my
rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."
Genesis 9:12-16 TNIV

The natural rainbow consists of seven colors:
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet

God uses various colors to communicate truth to us symbolically.
Here are some of the main colors mentioned in scripture and their meaning (non-comprehensive):

Amber: The glory of God (Ezekiel 1:4, 8:2)
Black: Sin, death, famine (Lamentations 4:8/ Jeremiah 8:21/ Revelation 6:5)
Blue: Heaven, heavenly, authority, from above, Holy Spirit (Numbers 15:38/ John 14:26)
Crimson: Blood atonement, sacrifice or death (Leviticus 14:52/ Joshua 2:18, 21/ Isaiah 1:18)
Purple: Kingship, royalty (Judges 8:26/ John 19:2)
Red: War, bloodshed, death (2 Kings 3:22/ Revelation 6:4, 12:3)
Scarlet: Blood atonement; sacrifice (as crimson) (Leviticus 14:52/ Joshua 2:18, 21/ Isaiah 1:18)
White: Purity, light, righteousness, holiness of God, Christ, the angels or saints (Revelation 6:2, 7:9, 19:8, 3:4-5, 15:6)

HAPPY COLORING!

No comments: